Friday, October 23, 2015

Making sense of information

"This London Midland  service to Birmingham New Street calling at Wolverhampton, Coseley, and Smethwick Galton Bridge is now approaching Penkridge. Please ensure you have all you belongings with you."
"Eh, Jo. Are you really supposed to be getting off here???"

Anyone that knows me understands it's the very first thought that goes into my head about journeys is making sure I'm on the right service, going the right  direction and this really is my stop having had a number of messed up encounters with trains and buses earlier in my life with my amazing ability to transpose data from different columns on timetables and information screens thanks to dyslexia.
Somehow they just get all jumbled up although as far as you're concerned its correct until that moment when you're to use it and you find you're at the  wrong stop or even on the wrong platform.
That's why I have to be super careful and check separately the information that  I've got it -usually written down in a note book - correct so removing anything that I might transpose.
Usually when I read I use things like rulers or credit cards to screen out anything other than the lines I need to see but that's not so practical on a laptop or in bus or rail stations where it may be quite high up.

No comments:

Post a Comment