Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A word for our Princesses....

Someone's been probably looking forward  to this entry, I wonder why?
A Tiara is based on a Crown being a simi-cirular band worn by females.
The type of Tiara  those of us who'd see ourselves as Little Princesses is derived from the Papal Tiara, a high Cap surrounded by three crowns that has a globe surrounded by a Cross signifying his authority during certain ceremonies.
Minus the globe, they are worn as a kind of adornment without indicating any specific rank by many women not least Royalty, a large collection being held by HRH Queen Elizabeth IInd of the UK and by many European Empresses, Princesses and Queens.
They general take the form of a circular or semi-circular band usually of precious metal  decorated with jewels being worn as a form of adornment.
In the case of old or rare Tiaras, a copy may be made for wearing while the original is carefully stored for security or insurance reasons.
In the twentieth century they were worn by relative commoners at Balls and during the 1920's the Flappers at their parties as well as being adopted for the crowning at beauty pageants.
Many little girls love wearing them at parties as the 'Princess', something I just love.

3 comments:

  1. I do not see the tiara as anything like a crown. The two are very different. To me a tiara is expressive of being a girl. A crown can be for either gender. If you look at a tiara and a crwon you see they are very different. Also, princess has gotten to be part of Sissy, or, the way of the self absorbed dweebette. The closest thing of any note that a tiara symbolizes to me, is being Fairy. But for me, it is just a part of my ordinary girl dress

    Here is a story from a few years ago. At the post office, a man with a thick Portuguese accent was trying to sen a large package to Sao Miguel (in the Azores) and was just ahead of me. When asked by the female clerk what he was sending, he said what sounded like "a chrome". Well this went on three times and was getting nowhere and I was getting impatient. so I said to the clerk "I think he's trying to send a CRWON to the island for the Feast of the Holy Ghost" whichhe confirmed. She then asked if it was a tiara. I was torn as to whether I should get in on this but I was impatient and figured that the situation was so exasperating that the fact that I had this gender-related special knowledge would not register, so I said "No a crown goes fully around the head. A tiara only comes up in front and the internal area of the tiara is more visually developed than a crown or coronet..." I was correct, the proceedings went through smoothly thereafter and I could conduct my business and move on

    Anyone LG who knows me knows I have many tiaras

    Christine Daryleanne Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiara is a Persian word and refers to many things. the tiaras I wear are a subclass of 'diadem". It also refers to a white face coverning like a veil worn in the Ancient world to obscure the faces of the elite Persion force known as "the Immortals". so I guess some boys did wear tiaras

    Christine Daryleann Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine Daryleanne Paradise

    Read ALL ABOUT TIARAS
    http://tiarabook.sandralyn.net/cover.html

    Get your own copy
    http://tiarabook.sandralyn.net/tbook.zip

    ReplyDelete