Thursday, December 11, 2014

GHS littles Christmas party 2014

Comments, thanks and accounts of this years Littles Party at GHS have been posted in the usual space at GT but as ever here's the Joanne account.
For me the journey started a bit early with having to catch a bus from our estate to the nearest point to meet  a bus bound for Crewe rail station in order to catch the service to GHS Central which had concerned me as following a change of operator for Saturday on the main service with major attendance issues (many no-shows) and the other service having a big change over of staff a fair number of which play fast and loose with the scheduled route.
But anyway eight minutes late the first bus arrived and I was able to run across the sidewalk to the other side to catch the second bus with seconds flat.
Enroute I left a message for Ms Andi's transportation and as efficient as ever meet me  having made my way from Platform Three while two other attendees  arrived  shortly afterward as we made our way to the imposing surrounds of GHS where two others were already present, helping Susan and Jennifer, our hostesses.
Upon arrival like a few others I changed into my dress - yes, d-r-e-s-s -, put my Hello Kitty slipper socks on and came down showing of something else a few may not expected, nails painted in advance as I'd decided after camp and that experience I actually was going to have them painted  from now on.
The only real surprise in this was the source of the painted nails as I had expected to have to do this all by myself but after a bath but as ever fully dressed, I calmed asked Mommy if she'd do my nails and surprisingly she just went ahead and did them!
This is something I'd not of expected back in December 2013.
Also I brought along Amy, a big Holly Hobby doll, with me.
Anyway toward the tail end of the afternoon, Jennifer, Andi and I think a n other disappeared toward the kitchen to cook the most wonderful Beef Burgers from the local butcher while we await the amazing Sticky One and partner to arrive as they were stuck in slow moving afternoon Christmas traffic.
An improvised sorting office was set up for exchanging Christmas cards.
We played pinning on the Donkey's Tail  with the picture mounted on  board, pin and using an improvised blindfold, hoping to get as close as we could to putting that pin in the right spot (and NOT in the wallpaper).
Susan had organized a Christmas treasure hunt  with clues around GHS indoors and outside you had to find that lead to the others and each had their own prize so we charged around the premises in hot pursuit of them. As it happened I actually found three clues and so got three Christmas Chocolates, while the Sticky One won the main prize.
Between eating a cold salad with cake and a marvellous trifle home made by Ms Andi, we played games such as The Logo Game with questions about famous brands and logos in addition to Articulate, the game where you have to try to describe a word without using it, your team members getting what the word was.
We also played music from cds in addition to vinyl records and even some 50's original 78's by Bill Haley where Caroline and Karla showed off the Jive (they're pretty good at it)
Eventually by just after 1AM we made our way to sleep, where I slept with the GHS coal fire for company waking up around 8 AM which was late for me but I think I needed the rest as it had been way beyond my normal bedtime.
Having gotten up and dressed, I had a cup of tea as I reckoned I didn't really need to eating any more but chatted to everyone as they woke up and had breakfast which included bacon sandwiches.
Around 10:30, we assembled to go on a walk along a former rail line and over part of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal though woodland encountering joggers, dogs, ducks, a water pumping station and goodly number of locks. I think it was around 1 and a half or more miles but although it was hard going for me I enjoyed being out in the open enjoying the countryside.
The walk lead to something that turned out to be really good, a Christmas Fair with a lot of home made crafts present on the stores (about 30) and a pop up drinks and snacks place who were  selling decorations, stuff related to present wrapping like paper, bows, decorations to hang up as well as plushies and dolls
.
I bought a Little Red Riding Hood  home made doll and I believe quite a few of us got various things while we were there.
After this we had a shorter walk to the GastroPub (British English for Public House that specializes in meals) which was doing Christmas Fayre as well as traditional UK  pub meals at very reasonable prices.
We were served by an American, not that I'm complaining with my background, it's familiar enough(!) and I had a Turkey roast that came with boiled potatoes, parsnips, and mashed potatoes with trays of side vegetables like black carrots and cabbage.
It was a fitting way to end an enjoyable weekend together as people started drifting off to their homes but for me that wasn't the end of the weekend as I stayed on over  chatting, listening to music, seeing the Snooker competition and Strictly while eating B-Bq'd sourced Turkey breast before leaving the next morning on the train.
To sum up I'd like to thank Susan and Jennifer for hosting it and everyone who bought something not necessarily tangible objects to the party for making it such a fun event.

2 comments:

  1. You did not say what anyone wore in her hair. I had my nails done IRL when I was 4, being curious about it. Also tried lipstick. Really did not like them. One was too messy fro what I got out of it and the other was gooey and icky. That' is why I am an all-natural girl -- Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. A number had there hair bunched in Ribbons, Christine.

    ReplyDelete