Sunday, June 14, 2015

Jo'ville upon Mersey Pt.II

On Saturday I went to this famous city and seaport in the North-west of England for the day by coach from our town along the motorway network with Daddy, to which I don't enjoy the best of relationships with although today did prove to be pretty good on that front.

When we set out from our town in the North-west Midlands, it has raining quite hard continuing in a rainbelt from West Bromwich  in the south of Staffordshire to the outskirts of Newton Le Willows, Lancashire.
I won two prizes on the coach raffle!
Strangle enough as we got toward the turnings for Prescot and Liverpool it got suddenly very sunny as it was also on the North wales coast.
That picture is of the Three Graces , taken from the Albert Dock on the banks of the river Mersey which means I was in.....Liverpool! Yay!!!

 Above are a couple of pictures of the vessel Glaciere built in 1899
 I noticed today was a really good day for observing reflections  and this picture summed up just how much they really help make a picture.

I spend most of the day inside the Merseyside Maritime  Museum seeing the exhibits on the RMS Lusitania that was sunk during the First World War and RMS Titanic than sunk memorably on April 12, 1912 which is something Daddy is interested in heaps.
I was more interested in the exhibits that looked at Slavery, which as port, Liverpool like Bristol was involved in heavily until its abolition and using an interactive display I discovered how many of Liverpool's famous streets and building were built very much on the profits from that trade.
As well, there was a series of exhibits looking at racism and racist attitudes over the centuries  both in the UK and across the Americas. I shuddered when I encountered a  KKK robe and conical hat.
There also was a moving set of exhibits about migration to Canada as well as Australia of British school-age children from the cities and the appalling treatment some received and how immigration has changed the UK over the centuries.

I visited the HMV store in L1, the newish shopping precinct and bought two lps as I had some pre-payed cards for the store and coming back saw several of these Swan vessels some rowed, with children making traversing the Mersey.
I had a good time and for once I felt comfortable, safe even being around Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment