Monday, May 28, 2012

The return of play


This week something came to me in all this heat being out of doors for a bit of the time.
When was the last time you played in a public space?
I think it would of been about around age 13 and 2/3rds and in the process of reading a book around inner child rediscovery, the topic of when  and how the inner child got put away came up.


Here's a dialogue between mine and it's bigger self that follows the first one I printed a short while back.
Initials: LG - My younger side BG Big Girl/Adult side
BG: Hello again
LG Hi. You came back to see me?
BG: Yes.
LG: Why?
BG: It's been a short while since you and I made a pact. I need to know how you feel about it.
LG: When you said I could come out?
BG:Yes, that is it.
LG:I feel happy now. 
BG:That's good. Do you feel safe?
LG:I feel safer cos I know you will come and  protect me.
BG:I understand. You had a bad time in the past. Is there anything else you'd like to talk about?
LG: I want to run around and play outside. But I can't.
BG: You do? Why not?
LG: Before I got put away Mommy said too old for it.But I want to.
BG: Okay then, I say you go out and have a run around. Lot's of people run and there's no reason for you not to.
LG: You mean I can just run around?
BG: Yes but think about where, that's all. I'll help you with that.

On Sunday I run around a tree lined garden without a care in the world for the first time in ages in an area that was a bit secluded so I wouldn't feel too self consious but with plenty of light and near a sidewalk in case I needed help. It felt great



1 comment:

  1. I've been convinced for a long time they should build adult-sized playgrounds. Swings and slides can be (just about) useable (if you've either got a youngster to hand or its quiet and there's no-one around!), but climbing frames / adventure playgrounds are generally designed for shorter people. Not to mention some particularly mean councils state that the equipment should only be used by those between 8 and 11 years of age.

    I'm sure that if such adult-sized playgrounds were built, a lot of adults would rediscover their inner child (especially singletons and those who don't work in children's TV, who don't have the excuse of a chronological child to hand).

    ReplyDelete