Monday, July 5, 2021

Bruch and classical music

It is something of a dull day as I write this with much rain so I'm listening to some music startingwith my 1994 disc of music from The Last Night of the Proms, that evergreen series of concerts of classical music for all, final night.

Like much else that too was impacted by Covid but touch wood we should be able to have a near normal season this year unlike last which full orchestras and soloists.

Recording new performances too has been impacted so new releases have drop off a little but recently I did get a brand new disc from Alpha Classics.

Max Bruch is a composer whose works outside of his famous Violin Concerto I had not explored.

This is packaged in a Digipak, a mixture of thick card with a glued in plastic well to hold the disc.

This disc covers string works which is an genre I do enjoy listening to and here we have two Quintets and an Octet on a generously filled disc performed by the chamber players of the German broadcaster WDR's symphony orchestra.

That picqued my interest and although this is a regular cd, it is very well recorded sounding like players playing live responding in real time to each others playing.

I really enjoyed it as sometimes when you've played say a lot of Mozart and Beethoven, hearing something very different is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment