Monday, July 27, 2020

Teenbeat XXVI - the J Geils Band

This is a rewind production, from the days I discovered this Boston, M.A. R&B group so we're pressing play today.
Way back in 1982 I tended to buy 7 inch singles and one I bought was Centerfold by the J Geils Band and that lead to me buying the cassette of the album it was from which included Flame Thrower that I played rather a lot at the time.

While the inserts remain good, sadly the black rubber pad that holds the tape against the players heads has decayed to a sticky mess which is a common problem on EMI tapes from the late 70's onward where they removed the metal supported spring pad for a block of foam.
 
I managed to get hold of the well regarded British BGO label cd from 1993 of this album recently which sounds just great.
Also in that series was Love Stinks, the 1980 release that include the U.S. hit single Just Can't Wait apart from the title track.

Back in early 1987 I joined a compact disc library that allowed you try discs first for seven days and if you liked them you'd send payment and get the cd case and booklet to keep it and this was one title I tried and copied on a TDK tape cos I thought even then it wasn't a generous retrospective of this bands EMI America era recordings.

Sadly that tape left the building some years back but I was able to get very cheaply the original US cd for some tracks I don't otherwise have in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment