Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas adventures

I suppose the first words for this entry was it wasn't planned, honest, it just came to me that there two entries inspired by comments by two people I respect in 'the community' that I felt like making.
I think I'll begin by saying this one is for a person who really has a way with words and isn't afraid to express her convictions, something that at times we all need to do.
Presently, she's doing a series of posts on her blog, Sparkle (link in my favourite sites tab) for advent about various things with a season connection and yesterday's was a story around family get together involving children and a chance gender role play reversal.
Well within my family the cross-dressing element didn't happen as such but it was generally the case that I played along side my female cousins in various games involving teddies, dolls, and super cute animals, leaving my brothers to play with cars or computer games that I had no interest in at all.
Like most of you there was always a bit of a fuss about what to wear which is where the story departs from the normal cos I tended to wear things a like a cherry  blossom print shirt that would pass a blouse really and unisex pastel pink cord pants under which I did wear tights as mommy had put me in them pretty early on. She's full of contradictions and stuff like that like not buying you actual girls attire but then giving you stuff positively girlie to wear!
We'd play pass the parcel which was always fun while the grown ups had a sherry or two being relied upon to keep good order among ourselves that I guess those of you who see me at two forums can probably spot the years of experience at it!
One of the highlights over Christmas was, when I was at my Nan's, Grampa who'd swing me on the swing at the end of his garden something Mommy was terrified of, never letting me at home fearing my poor co-ordination would result in a messy accident but I managed it okay.
Christmas's were always memorable for us never more so for te chance to be a bit more like my inner self.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these beautiful memories with us!

    When I was very little, five years old and younger, the clothes I was put in were very much non gender specific. I have some pictures of myself from then, and if I didn't know it was me, sometimes I wouldn't know if I was looking at a boy or a girl. But I remember going to school and being made fun of for some of them, and the clothes my dad bought for me gradually changed.

    ReplyDelete