Monday, February 11, 2019

Remaking the past

In the week as I get ready to go way for a few days I've been working on a small project, namely remaking a few minidiscs I have had for a fair few years
That's the minidisc in all it's nineties glory with its original largest capacity version, the 74 minute one that was on sale in 1997/8 as it wasn't until the third quarter of 1999 that 80 minute versions were available on the high street in the UK.

One reason for liking using them even now is tactile - handing a object is more enjoyable than scrolling for it and you do need to keep back ups of files on memory cards as they can and do die on you whereas I've had very few minidiscs ever die and believe me I have over five hundred of them the balk of which go back to 1997 that still work.

A few of my recordings from then were compromised by the digital connection between the recorder and cd player not being as good as it easily could of been in and the intervening years I'd lost the original cds.

An example was Take That's Greatest Hits that came out in 1996 and was one of the first albums I put on a brand new Sony minidisc in early 1997 so taking advantage of cheap older cds being easy to find online I got a copy to redo it using my better equipment.

I also have remade my own Oasis compilations made at the tail end of the BritPop era noting the original tracks  I used and taking them from cheap copies of the cds that had disappeared over time that I enjoyed playing  and still like to hear.

I also decided to remake a set of four classical titles where although I had the original cds, I had now better sounding new sets that featured the performances  thus my recordings of the Berlin Philharmonic orchestra performing Tchaikovsky and the London Symphony orchestras recordings with the conductor Claudio Abbado of Stravinsky's music  were remade.

As indicated I will be away  so a post will most likely be left to self publish next Monday but as you might expect I won't be able to post links etc in various places.
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment