Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Jo visits the North!

Yesterday, I was out on a trip out as in a hundred odd miles out and also out as with my Pink Hello Kitty  t shirt, shorts and cute cat socks with bows and frilly tops with naturally my H K Tote and  Child's travel bag.   In my world I'm always out as me.
We were going some 312 Miles round trip from where I live to Whitby in North Yorkshire, England  which is a old Port and seaside resort although you have a long walk to get to the beach. Our route involved travelling along the M6, changing to the M62 Trans-Pennine motorway and then getting on the A64 in North Yorkshire a little South of York.The traffic was really bad travelling along the A64 just south of York along the Scarborough road for  miles. It took us Two hours twenty to travel through this four mile stretch! Travelling horseback would be quicker.
In consequence we only had a very limited length of time to do anything as the driver had used  up all ready five of his allowed 8 hours driving under UK law. 
The scenery along stretches of this route took us over Saddleworth Moors in Lancashire, a very hilly area with sheep farms even though it's near to the Towns of Oldham and Rochdale and also well into the North Yorks National Park where much purple Heather and horses was spotted. They were beautiful at this time of year.
Because we were really late arriving the first step had to be fix food fast as I was starting to space out -the perils of running short on spoons - so I called in at Trenchers fish and  chip restaurant on New Quay Road, Whitby for fried plaice, English chips and several drinks of tea with brown sugar while I took some tablets.
It won awards in 2011 and 12 and upon tasting my late lunch, it is not hard to see why for the fish caught on the day  by fishing line was most tasty and the chips had a good not greasy taste to them.
Time was running short as because of drive hours issue with the driver we needed to be back at bus for 17:00 hrs I only had the chance to look at a couple of charity stores briefly before getting something to eat as we wouldn't be stopping off on the return trip.

That's the Bridge that links the harbour to the old town where many of the shops are  to be found in small streets, some cobbled. As befits a Port, there were places selling fresh fish!

Whitby Harbour. As you can see it was  very sunny day with quite as number of boats moored.

I had to use the 105mm moderate telephoto of this camera to capture this and carefully crop it later. Thankfully the more megapixels your image has, the better the result even if you use only a small proportion of the original image.

Kerrera caught my attention  while moored with its bold colours and flags


Finally an overview of the harbour.
It was a interesting day out even though it had taken rather a lot out of me physically as I hadn't been in the North East of England ever. One just wishes to had the time to see more of Whitby.

2 comments:

  1. you must head down the coast next time to the little fishing port of bridlington. There you get to be able to walk on sand (yes sand not cobbles.) :)

    It is a small town but with great fishing chip shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Whitby a few times and have always enjoyed the Fish and Chips there. I prefer these small old fashioned sea side places. I went to York on Monday by train to go to the National Railway Museum to see the Great Gathering. That may have been the reason that the roads were bad near York. The Great gathering is a once in a life time reunion of the 6 remaining A4 class locomotives to celebrate 75 years since Mallard set the current world speed record for steam trains. Museum was packed and I went in the 2nd week.


    Tracy.

    ReplyDelete