Sunday, January 23, 2011

Childhood and faith

I make no apology for being a Christian Scientist, a Christian denomination founded in Boston, Massachusetts and for how my faith informs my way of life including my relationships with others.
One of the most relevant passages in the Bible for me at least is this one which I will quote from the King James version which as Christian Scientists we read daily. 
Matthew 19:14
"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
There is a very good parallel with the note at the end of Matthew 3:2 that I feel is worth reading
"Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall not enter therein."
My personal view is "The Kingdom of Heaven"  means The Church" as a body not just a building for worship. What me it is saying is those only who resemble little children shall be received into it: but by resemblance we are not talking of an exact replication of a child so much that which possesses  child like qualities.
Christ loves little children because he loves simplicity and innocence and their age was sanctified through his very passing through it.
To me the good news from the Bible is it's okay to hold on to that simplicity and innocence because it's precisely what God wants. It sure doesn't mean that in handling our adult responsibilities it goes whatever others may have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment