Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sony's Mastersound cds








I've always been interested in music and one by product of this is I like to have good sounding copies of my favourite recordings so I do sometimes buy two or more versions of an album where the the recording is transferred to cd or record differently.
These cds came out during the mid 1990's being made in Japan by Sony Music and I bought several of them as they purported to from the original mastertapes and were a bit cheaper than those issued by so-called 'audiophile' labels such as MFSL and DCC a factor that was important as being very pawley(tm) I didn't have a lot of spare money to spend on such things.

They were a mixed bag - I couldn't get on with the issue of Boston's self titled album being screechy replacing that by a regular US version - and failed to see the sense and trying to make a audiophile issue of Bat Out of Hell, an album that has lots of mixing issues whatever you might think of it musically.

On the other hand the issues of Toto IV, Bridge Over Troubled waters and Billy Joel's 52nd Street in that series were quite something and continue to provide me with much pleasure upon listening to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment