Monday, April 16, 2018

Staying warm - the only agenda that matters

One area when I tend to disagree with traditionalists is over the idea girls or any other female clothing needs to be all thin and feature either a skirt or a dress not least because I grew up in cold environment where it wasn't unusually for winters to be very white.

What it means is what heat our bodies give out isn't being trapped by materials that would help keep us warm leading to a situation where girls may feel get cold quicker just because of gender norms in fashion.
 In areas like mine, because of the cold, often girls did wear warmer clothing even if over a school dress to stay warm and they did include pants or even snow pants with super warm layers which were more suited for winter play.
You often had a thick padded coat with a hood on too keeping you warm.
Staying warm and looking after yourself should never be limited by ones gender because it is a basic human need for all of us.
 In some school areas Uniform policies are being adjusted to allow full gender expression and options for all such as Western Australia that decided last September to allow pants or shorts to be worn by girls and in some UK schools boys to wear skirts if they wish.
To me this is about time because uniform is about setting standards so kids look smart at school and avoiding competition in dress and not about being an instrument of gender stereotyping or oppression.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there I am so thrilled I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Bing for something
    else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to
    read through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete